Sunday, June 29, 2008

Introduction to Honesty

This blog is intended to be a personal journal for my thoughts. I created it based on a sudden inspiration while I was reading David Kinnaman's book unChristian.

I am not even halfway through this book and it has inspired a very personal journey for me already, causing me to reflect on many attitudes that seem to stem from a lack of the honesty that I value but struggle to maintain.

Our culture is very image-driven. We think nothing of living two lives -- one that faces the outside world, and one that we keep to ourselves and, perhaps, our closest confidantes. Even I think nothing of using every possible advantage to make my resume look good or to get that revered 4.0 in school. (There are so many corners that kids cut to get A's without outright cheating...)

I have slipped. I have slipped into the two-facedness that I once rejected. I have been judgmental and mistrusting of those around me. I have maintained the "I-have-it-all-together" image for the world to see while I was miserable inside this past year. And it was miserable.

Often we church people think that we have to be perfect -- or seem perfect -- to show what Jesus is doing in our lives and help point people to Him. This can lead to the two-facedness of which I speak -- the cover-up of sin. But God calls us to be honest. "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. But if we confess our sins, God, who is faithful and just, will forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteouness." - 1 John 1:5

But the best, most loving thing I can do for you, the people I love, is see the sin and the misery and the depression inside of me. I am not perfect. (Cliches are cliche for a reason.) And I do not have it all together. I am being restored by my Creator, but you can't see it unless I show you.

Do you have a backpack? A pulpit? A poem? A pen? These are journey tools. Come with me. When I slip into hiding, pull me into the light.

No comments: